Last Friday, I had the honor of hosting Mark Herdering, author of Hanging Out for a Living, for an all day workshop based on the principles of his book. It was a huge success, if I do say so myself, but I will let one of the attendees speak for me:
“Just a quick note to express my thanks and appreciation for all of your work and effort in getting Mark Herdering to visit the greater Houston area. I got so much out of meeting Mark and attending his seminar….I am new to SOC (joined just prior to the convention last fall) so he was a very good way for me to continue on with SOC and start 2017 off on an excellent path!” – Kevin O’Connell, Hanging Out for a Living Workshop Attendee
After hanging out all morning with Mark, picking his brain about networking, and his book, I thought it would be fun to record a podcast with him on the way to the airport. It has been 18 months since I recorded my last podcast, which becomes quite clear when you listen to the audio track. However, the content is excellent, and if you can ignore the road noise, please have a listen to our conversation about growing a business through networking.
How to Grow Your Business by Networking | Episode 39 Show Notes
- A visit to Mike’s Cigar Room.
- “You can’t make a living hanging out.”
- It’s not about network marketing, it’s about how to serve people.
- Lessons from Nadia and Anton
- Is print advertising dead?
- Internet sales is great but face to face is best.
- The yellow rose cigar sales rep.
- Finding your place is the digital world and the generation gap.
- Jay Leno on the poop pollution problem.
- The woman in the middle of the road.
- Houston’s tow truck lottery.
- Oh, we were talking about networking.
- What do you do when a weed grows in your garden?
- Neil Degrasse Tyson can explain it.
- Questions to ask during a one on one.
- Conversation with a topless waitress.
- Appropriate, and not so proper, places to have a one-on-one.
- Renu never eats at networking meetings.
- You become a very interesting person when you show interest in other people.
I’d love to hear your opinion of today’s episode. Leave your comment below.
Got a question or topic suggestion for an upcoming gratitude geek podcast? Go to speakpipe.com/gratitudegeek to leave your 90 second voice message. You just might hear yourself in an upcoming episode!
Ways to Subscribe to Gratitude Geek
- Click here to subscribe via iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- You can also subscribe via PlayerFM
I appreciate YOU!