Iyea Brandy is a strategist that solves problems for entrepreneurs and educators. She teaches entrepreneurs how to turn their passion to profit. She also has a big idea what could transform an African nation.
My Pain is My Purpose and My Story is the Solution
Why did you choose to start your business – do what you do?
I have been a serial entrepreneur my whole life and love business of any kind. My passion is creating new and unique experiences that solve problems for others. I enjoy the adrenaline in starting a new venture.
Who inspires you?
My son-he makes me better.
What makes you different from other people in your industry?
I follow my gut and intuition. I have lived all the things I teach. I know success and failure intimately. I walk my talk.
Why should someone purchase from you instead of your competition?
What competition? I am a unique brand that appeals to the inner of my clients. I am not every one-cup of tea.
What is the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
Walk away from my comfortable life in NJ and move to MD.
What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you?
One of former students screamed “Ms. Brandy is that you” in the middle of the mall and I felt so old. I actually said hush girl, not so loud. Ha ha ha
What is your biggest challenge or obstacle?
I am multi-talented so I have business ideas everyday and I have to say focused on one and grow that one.
What will it take to overcome your biggest challenge or obstacle?
I have to stay focused every day in growing my business and brand.
How do you juggle work and family?
I prioritize my time. I cook twice a week, I make sure to read to my son every night and do family activity with him. I make time to conduct my business and research when my son is at school and watching TV.
Three tips you would like to give to people who are thinking about starting a business in your industry?
1. Find your niche and know what you offer
2. Understand your audience like you understand your self.
3. Genuinely connect to your audience by sharing meaningful content
What’s the best way to market your particular business?
1. Speaking at various events where your audience is in attendance
2. Writing a book or eBook on solutions for problems they have
3. Networking with others doing similar things as you self
4. Social media
How have you grown as a person since starting your company?
I’m still growing, I have to learn to bring more of myself into this brand. I want to leave my self out of it but people need to hear more of my story.
If you could travel back in time and speak to your 18 year old self, what would you say?
Girl you have it together, don’t quit just keep going. It’s not my 18 year old self that needs the help its my 25 year old self that lost me.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Creating another new venture, married with two children, traveling to different countries sharing my story and offering solutions on issues in entrepreneurship and education.
What else would you like to add?
My pain is my purpose and my story is the solution.
Iyea’s Big Idea That Will Transform a Nation
Iyea has a big idea.
She wants to bring STEM to Liberia.
She believes that putting Legos, basic robotics and simple machines in the hands of the children of Liberia would inspire generations of engineers and scientists. This idea requires teamwork. If you are familiar with crowd-funding for non-profits and would like to offer some suggestions or advice to Iyea, leave a comment below.
Iyea Brandy’s Bookshelf
- Things Fall Apart by Chinwe Achebe
- How to Make Money Online by Montina Portis
- Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port
Connect with Iyea Brandy
- Website: www.iyeabrandy.com
- Blog: www.educatorsresource.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/educatorsresource
- Twitter: Iyeabrandy
- Google+: Iyeabrandy
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/IyeaBrandy
Get Your Gratitude Geek
- Be sure to tune in every Wednesday to the Gratitude Geek Podcast.
- Coffee & Cards Conversations are filmed on location at Conroe Coffee and produced by Shane Rodarte.
- Music by Tracy Larson’Clifford and Brock Rodarte.