Louise Dewey is the host of the Baby Boomer Babe podcast and a real joy to be around.
Describe your business in 3 to 5 sentences.
My business is evolving every day, but the gist of it is to assist women between 50 and 70 (Baby Boomers) who want more out of life. Some may just want more friends, and fun places to go and do things; others may want to start a business; or they may have lost their spouse and want to know how to come back and be a part of this new world in which they find themselves. Having experienced all of these things and re-created my own life several times, I feel qualified to guide them, using classes, Lunch & Learn meetings, webinars, and private one-on-one training.
How did you get started in your business?
BOREDOM! After I retired and moved to the country in 2008, I re-created myself as a ‘lady farmer’ – tending my yard, garden, and a small orchard. I even became a Certified Master Gardener. It was a good life for nearly seven years, but I missed being around people and helping others. That’s when I got creative (my middle name is ‘MSU’ – that stands for ‘Make Stuff Up!’ I came up with The Baby Boomer Babe. I am a Baby Boomer who will never stop learning and sharing what I know with other women. We need each other! Sometimes my sharing is in the form of encouragement, just listening, or training classes; and other times it’s in the form of a swift kick in the pants! Whatever works to get women off square one and back out into society in the way they choose.
What was the biggest hurdle you had to overcome in your business?
I am still forging through the biggest hurdle in my business – becoming known and recognized as an ‘expert’ who helps Baby Boomer women re-create the life they want. Sometimes these women have no clue what that looks like; and most times they do not realize the value they bring to the table. It’s my job to bring that to the surface and help them move forward and enjoy and capitalize on the new woman who emerges.
Top 3 books for personal and business growth?
The titles of all these books say it all –
- The old classic – How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie (affiliate link)
- What You Think of Me is None of My Business, by Terry Cole-Whittaker
- Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More, by Joe Vitale and Ihaleakala Hew Len
I have sooo many books that have helped me, so here’s a fourth book:
- What’s Holding You Back?: 30 Days to Having the Courage and Confidence to Do What You Want, Meet Whom You Want, and Go Where You Want, by Sam Horn
What does gratitude mean to you?
Gratitude is a word of very deep meaning to me as I have so much for which to be grateful. Yes, I was widowed at 44, but the last 25 years have been very rich with learning WHO Louise is and what she is capable of doing and being. I feel that all I have been through, and had to learn the hard way, are just what I am to teach other women so they can learn the easy way. I am grateful for all of these life lessons that have made me who and what I am. I am to be of service to other women, and I am grateful – my ‘cup’ does truly ‘runneth over!’
Who do I appreciate? Why?
I appreciate my parents most of all. They worked hard all their lives and taught me that everything of value is to be earned, not handed to me on a silver platter. I learned early the lessons of ‘being responsible’ for myself, standing on my own two feet, fighting my own battles, learning the life lessons put before me, and sharing whatever I have, both tangible and intangible, such as knowledge. My life is so beautiful in so many ways, and so rich in family and friends. Who could ask for more? Not me!
Connect with Louise Dewey
- Website: http://TheBabyBoomerBabe.com
- Podcast on Spreaker: http://www.spreaker.com/show/thebabyboomerbabe
- Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/thebabyboomerbabe/id978721390
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/groups/TheBabyBoomerBabe/
- Twitter: http://Twitter.com/LadyLou_Texas
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/LouiseDewey
- Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Baby-Boomers-Social-Club-of-Greater-Houston/